As someone who loves to bake, I bake for any occasion or holiday! I love to bake with my daughter and these Valentine’s heart shaped chocolate chip shortbread cookies are pretty easy. They make a lovely little home made gift for a loved one, or are even just a great excuse to celebrate the time of year! You can add whatever chocolate you like, or leave the shortbread plain. I added dark chocolate chips in half the batch and chunks of white chocolate for the other half, as it’s my husband’s favourite.
Heart shaped chocolate chip shortbread cookies
125g unsalted butter, softened (at room temperature)
90g caster sugar
1 medium egg (at room temperature!)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
225g plain flour
1 tsp cornflour
100g any good quality chocolate of your choice – or 50g of dark and white chocolate
icing sugar or caster sugar for dusting
- Beat the soft butter with a handheld electric mixer until creamy. I use the Kenwood Hand Mixer and use it in so much of my baking!
- Add the sugar and whisk for a couple of minutes until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat the egg in a little bowl and add the vanilla extract. Gradually add this, one tea spoon at a time, to the butter and sugar. Beat really well and scrap down the sides of the bowl between each addition. If it starts to curdle add a spoonful of the flour.
- Sift the flour and cornflour into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. You will need to use your hands near the end to combine the mixture into a dough. If you’re making two types of chocolate shortbread like me, divide the mixture in half and pop one half in another bowl.
- Add the chocolate. So either 100g to the whole dough mixture, or 50g of dark and white to each half of dough. If using white chocolate and you’re chopping it rather than using chips, be careful not to melt it with your hands!
- Roll out the dough until half a cm thick. Cut into heart shapes using some Heart Shaped Cookie Cutters.
- Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and place in the fridge, covered loosely with clingfilm for 30 minutes. This helps the cookies keep their shape when cooked.
- Preheat your oven to 190/170 fan and bake for 12-15 minus until golden and firm. I put my timer on for 10 minutes and turned my trays around to get a more even colour.
- Remove from the oven and leave the cookies on the trays for a few minutes to firm up before moving them to a wire rack to cool completely. Once cold sprinkle with caster sugar or icing sugar.