As we’re still in the first few days of January I’m hoping I can get away with this one. At the end of last year I did a free course with Aby at You Baby Me Mummy, aka, my blogging guru, and it was all about setting ourselves some goals for our blogs next year.
If you’re not a blogger you probably won’t care, but if you’re a friend who knows how into this I am, you may somewhat…maybe? No? Ok well skeddadle then, or have a read so you can ask me how I’m doing later in the year.
I’m writing my blogging goals down because apparently if you write them down, you’re 42% more likely to achieve them. Here’s hoping!! I got some nice new stationery for Christmas and have a pretty planner coming in the post any day now and I can’t wait to start writing (and transferring) my to do lists and setting some targets for each week.
As I did start this blog just to keep my brain ticking and writing skills going, I don’t want to be too ambitious. I need to be realistic. I have a toddler who takes up a lot of time, and a husband, and they will always be number one. But I really think blogging is good for me and I want to do as well as I can. Yes it’s just a hobby at the moment, but it’s addictive and challenging, and I love a challenge! I want to push myself where I can, because I’m a bit of a loser and a geek who likes to work hard (even though my husband says I’m basically working but for no money – he doesn’t get it…) But we all like to feel like we’ve achieved something every now and again. So it’s time to smash some goals!
My 2017 blogging goals
1. Get a slicker new design. I just have a free wordpress theme at the moment, but I want to upgrade to something more professional. If you’re a graphic designer and have any professional insight whatsoever into my logo/blog name and the layout, please get in touch! Any feedback is welcome!
2. Increase my social media following. Stats aren’t the be all and end all, and actually they really REALLY stress me out and piss me off. But they’re pretty important for getting your content seen. So by the end of the year I’d love to have grown my social media to:
- Twitter: 3000 followers (currently 930).
20001000 followers (currently 370ish – goes up and down every day because brands and randomers like to play silly buggers known as follow/unfollow which I just don’t play!) It’s the bane of my life but so many other bloggers have thousands of followers and just post random photos of their children/dogs/sunsets/trees/beaches/inspirational quotes that everyone else posts…… (can you tell I love it?!) so why can’t I? I think this will be hard for me. I know that I need to actually like the platform to grow it, so I’ve just revised this down from 2000 to 1000! Let’s get real people!
- Facebook 500 (currently 155) Facebook pages are so hard to grow without buying ads. But it’s where I get a lot of my traffic. 500 might be a bit too ambitious, but lets reach for the stars and all that!
3. Continue to grow my page views. I currently get about 1700 a month. I’d love to reach 5000 a month by the end of the year. I’m going to be taking part in a few new linkies and continue to grow my social media to help with this.
4. Go to a blog conference. I couldn’t go to a couple last year because they clashed with being away but I’d love to go this year, just to listen to some awesome speakers and meet some fellow bloggers that I love (stalk). And I’m sure they will help me learn something new.
5. Improve my photography skills. My photos are a bit rubbish and I need to get better at taking and editing photos. It’s hard as I don’t’ take many front facing photos of Miss Belle, choosing to only share them on special occasions like her birthday. I prefer to keep some memories just for myself and my family. But it’s pretty hard to run a family and parenting blog without nice clean photos of your family. I need to hone this craft pronto! This goal is two fold. I would love to buy a second hand DSLR camera, or ask for one for my birthday (please Matt/Mum and Dad!). And I’d also like to go on a photography course or get some lessons with a couple of my friends who are into photography.
6. Contribute to some other well known parenting websites. After a bit of reflection I realised this is actually more important to me than making money by blogging (although that would always be nice!). As a journalist, although my back ground is in broadcast journalism, I’d love to start paving a way for a future in written journalism. I’d love to maybe one day make a living by writing and working from home when Miss Belle is older. So, for this year, I’d love to guest post on the likes of Huffington Post, Britmums, Mumsnet and Baby Centre.
7. Increase my DA to 25. Apparently the answer to life the universe and everything is in fact 25 not 42, in the blogger/brand work world anyway. This is when you’re taken more seriously as a blogger so I’d like to achieve that this year. Anything higher would be fan bloody tastic. At the moment it’s 16, so I hope it’s doable.
8. Monetise my blog. It would be great to end the year knowing that I could earn a steady albeit small income from brand work and sponsored posts on my blog. I don’t want to fill my blog with sponsored work though. I still want to write for me and to share my family life, my rants and raves about food, travel and family life in Norfolk. In reality I think a maximum of four sponsored posts a month, one a week, would be amazing.
So these are my blogging goals. I’ve organised them into an order and have started a plan to help me start chipping away at them.
In terms of life goals I would LOVE to get a puppy this year. I had two dogs from when I was about 15 years old. I think they really make a home complete. Of course the main thing is that we all stay happy and healthy. I want to continue to enjoy my time with Miss Belle and being a SAHM. And we hope to travel some more too.
Do you set yourself personal and professional goals for the year? And do you ever hit them? I’d love to hear from you. Leave a comment in the box below.
I’m linking up with: