Today marks the end of World Breastfeeding Week and to coincide with that I have a guest post for you from another blogger. Katie is a freelance writer and Australian mum of two little girls who writes at Coffee With Katie. You can follow her on Facebook page here. She’s sharing her lactation cookies recipe. These are something I heard a lot about when I was breastfeeding, but I never made or sampled any! I was starving all the time when I first started breastfeeding and needed a lot of snacks. Day AND night! So I’ll definitely be baking a few of these to pop in the freezer for when we welcome our latest addition to the family.
Over to Katie…
Lactation cookies recipe
I love these lactation cookies! With both my babies I’ve made a few batches as part of my pre-birth-cook-up which I stored in small groups in the freezer. I love them because they are delicious, because I always get hungry when I’m breastfeeding and these are a quick snack, and because they are great for milk supply.
- 1 cup self raising wholemeal flour (if you have plain flour, add 1/2 tsp baking powder)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 egg
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons of brewers yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon himalayan salt
- 1 & 1/2 cups oats
- 1 cup of your favourite biscuit ingredients like chocolate chips, coconut, nuts or dried fruit (as brewers yeast can taste a bit bitter). I love making choc cranberry cookies, or for a healthier alternative I make apple coconut using fresh grated apple.
- Preheat oven to 170C.
- Cream oil / butter and sugar, then add egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flaxseed and water, let sit for a few minutes before adding to the mix.
- Add the dry ingredients (apart from the oats and your additional ingredients) and mix well.
- Stir in oats and your additional ingredient.
- Make the biscuits and place them onto a lightly greased or lined baking tray. Flatten them a little with your fingers.
- Bake for around 10-12 minutes depending on how well cooked or crunchy you like them.
In case you are wondering, these lactation cookies really do work! The key ingredients that help with milk supply are the oats, flaxseed and brewers yeast.