This week it’s been all about survival.
After our lovely Christmas lunch, Miss Belle came down with a temperature on Sunday night. She’s still got one today. It’s been a looooooong week, that’s for sure.
What I’ve learned this week:
- When you can’t get any medicine into a toddler, bribery is all I have. I tried telling Miss Belle the medicine was magic sparkly fairy juice that would make her better. She didn’t buy it and looked at me like I was deranged. Next, I mixed it in yoghurt. That used to work but not any more. Ice cream? Nope. Ok, dilute juice. (She NEVER has juice.) This worked most of the time. But when even that failed and her temperature was 40.3, I resorted to “drink your juice/eat your ice cream and then you can have some chocolate.” I know, oh the Mummy shame! She’s never had as much chocolate in a week as she has this week. Thank goodness for the advent calendar Nursery got her. The leftover chocolates I hadn’t eaten from it (well she got it a week late, and she doesn’t know what it’s all about, does she?) have been used as bribery. I didn’t feel like I tackled the non-medicine taking situation very well, but the doctor said do what you have to. And sometimes, needs must.
- I’ve never let Miss Belle watch so much Peppa Pig as she has done this week, but as above, sometimes, needs must. It’s all she’s wanted to do, other than jigsaws and books when she’s felt bit brighter.
- When your child has a cold, and you’re consistently up for an hour and a half every night, it is inevitable that you’ll get a cold. Joy.
- As much as it’s awful seeing your baby ill, and you feel so helpless, it’s lovely to feel those little arms around your neck hugging you tightly. This week I have felt so glad I was able to give up work to be home with her. I’ve been a SAHM for six months now, and although this week has been hard; I’ve got cabin fever, I’m getting a cold and I’ve not been out much, I’ve been able to enjoy lots of cuddles with my baba.
- Trust your instincts. I debated whether I should take her back to the doctor today, but I did because it’s been five days and she’s no better. It turns out she has a chest infection now and she needs antibiotics. So if in doubt, check it out.
Have a good weekend everyone. I hope you escape the germs!